Tressie May Evans Post

Testimony of Tressie May Evans Post - dictated to her daughter, Stella, 20 December 1948, at the Medical Center Hospital, Tucson, Arizona:

To My Children:.

I know that my Heavenly Father lives, and that His Son Jesus Christ came to earth and died that we might live. I know that God hears and answers prayers; that His Gospel has been restored by a Prophet of God.

I know that God hears my prayers and that He will do all things well. Regardless that He has promised me, through His Servant, the Patriarch, that I should live as long as life is desirable, if I do not, it is no fault but my own - though I know not.

His blessings have been abundant through all my life. I have depended on Him for help all my married life. My greatest desire is for my children to love the Gospel and enjoy its blessings.

If it is my time to go, I know no fear. I have wanted to live right. I know my Heavenly Father will be merciful unto me. My heart is filled with love for all people. I love my kindred, both living and dead, and I desire that my children work faithfully in their behalf and share the joys of the Gospel with them.

I thank the Heavenly Father for His blessings unto us, in the name of Jesus Christ. Amen.

(The following is adapted from histories written by Tressie May Evans Post.)

I was born September 11 or 12, 1877, in Mahaska County, Iowa - near a little town called Rosehill. Uncle George Mayberry and his large family spent the night with my parents and left for Kansas the morning I was born. My father is Willis Sumeral Evans and my mother is Elizabeth Ann Mayberry. I was their eighth child, of nine. They had five boys and four girls. The youngest child, a boy, was born almost seven years after I was.

My great grandfather, John Evans, was born in England, perhaps Wales or Liverpool. He married Rachel Dickinson. She had some kind of gland trouble and was very large. They had at least two children: a daughter, Elizabeth, and a son, John James, who was born 26 February 1826 in Liverpool, England. Great grandmother died when John James was quite young. He remembered at her death they lowered her body from an upper window; perhaps they lived in an upper room of a high building. After her death, it seems that my great grandfather soon remarried, for my grandfather related that he came to America with his father and step-brothers. I do not know whether he forgot to mention his step-mother, or if she had died or remained in England. His sister, Elizabeth, was to be married, but grandfather forgot the name of the man and he lost track of her - perhaps because he failed to write.

It is reported by my two uncles, Robert Evans and Charles Evans, that their grandfather, John Evans, joined the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints and came to this counrty with the Prophet Joseph Smith. Because the Prophet did not go to the European countries, if John Evans did join the "Mormon" Church he probably gathered with the saints in Ohio, Missouri, or Nauvoo, Illinois.

My grandfather was left an orphan at fourteen years of age. Consequently, I conclude that my great grandfather died about 1838 or 1840. The next I learn about my grandfather, John James Evans,is that he married Cynthia Whitaker in Pleasant Grove Township, Mahaska County, Iowa, on 13 April 1848. Their children were: Willis Sumeral Evans, born 19 February 1849, in Pleasant Grove Township, Mahaska County, Iowa; Amanda Jane Evans, born 22 November 1850, in Pleasant Grove Township, Mahaska County, Iowa; Robert William Evans, born 7 November 1852, at Indianapolis, Mahaska County, Iowa; Charles Isaac Evans, born 9 March 1855, at Pleasant Grove Township, Mahaska County, Iowa; an infant daughter, born 4 March 1858, at Indianapolis, Mahaska County, Iowa; Madia (Hannah Madie) Evans, born 29 December 1859, Indianapolis, Mahaska County, Iowa; Sarah Eliza Evans, born 3 March 1863, on the Grubb farm, Mahaska County, Iowa; George Perlie Evans, born 27 September 1869, in Mahaska County, Iowa. The infant daughter died 5 March 1858.. George Perlie died 17 Mar 1870.

My grandfather, John James Evans, son of John and Rachel Evans, died 4 December 1885. He was a little man. He taught music lessons to a large number of pupils and furnished music on many occasions. He was loved by his neighbors, especially children. I do not know very much about him but remember when I was six or seven years old that I went with my parents to Washington County, Kansas, to visit my grandparents. They had moved there from Iowa, probably around 1883 or 1884. My parents had moved to Sedgwick County, Kansas about 1882.

My grandmoher was a large woman. She undoubtedly went through many hardships as she reared a large family of sturdy sons and daughters on very little of the bounties of life. I have not heard of any accumulated wealth. My grandfather went into the army in the Civil War and she was left with her large family to care for. My father stayed at home to help her care for the children, but was married very young, at the age of eighteen years and fourteen days.

My grandmother was very industrious. After her husband died, she lived with her children and would take a trip occasion-ally to visit my father and family. I loved her so dearly. I thought she was the best grandmother on earth. I was privileged to sleep with her. Very often I would go with her to pick blackberries, raspberries, and all kinds of fruit on my father's farm. She would choose the fruit season to visit us so she could help. I remember how she had a pocket in her skirt. It was an invisible one made in the side seam. She would have chalk of magnesia in it to take for a stomach ache. Also she had buttons, thread and thimble. I don't know where she put her needle, but she always had it ready when a button needed to be sewed on. She also had scissors. She would sew up a slit or patch a garment or darn a sock - the whole sewing kit was in her pocket.. I was in a high school class when a messenger brought the news of her death, and I cried so hard I was excused from class. She died 21 December 1896.

My father, Willis Sumeral Evans, married Elizabeth Ann Mayberry, daughter of Richard Mayberry and Alice Moore. She was born 14 February 1842, in Clinton County, Ohio. She had brothers and sisters as follows: George Washington Mayberry, born 1 October 1836, Clinton County Ohio, and died 30 September 1918, at Enid, Oklahoma, married Mary Jane Morrow; Sylvester N. Mayberry, born about September 1840, and died 11 January 1965, at age 24 years 4 months and 11 days - a Civil War veteran; Elizabeth Ann Mayberry, born 14 February 1842, and died 24 April 1908, at Nickerson, Kansas; Martha Jane Mayberry, born about 6 August 1845, and died 26 November 1875; Mary Elizabeth Mayberry, born 13 April 1847, and died in 1891..

My father came from a long line of large, robust, healthy people, on his mother's side - the Whitakers. He was a very splendid, fine, industrious, honest man. He had ability to do most everything he needed to do to make his life a rounded-out one. He followed farming after he came to Kansas and in Iowa he ran a sawmill and had a farm of about ninety acres. It has been said that he put a new end on a boiler for his mill and put all the rivets in it and it was steam-proof. He was not a "Jack-of-all-trades and Master of none." He mastered all of his undertakings with great skill.

Of my early baby years I can remember some things and so many things have been told me that I cannot separate what I remember from stories I've heard. I remember my sisters, Hattie and Cynthia, picked apples and we went out of sight and ate them. I am told how I climbed down a ladder into a well that was about 6 by 6 foot square and which had 12 to 14 feet of water in it to fish or pick blocks off the water, handing them to my sister Cynthia. Consternation reigned when we were discovered, but by planning and careful actions we were rescued. My father's farm must have had springs and plenty of timber. My brother, William, fell into the spring head first and was pulled out by his brother just in time to save his life. We also had hogs. One big boar caught my brother, Charles, and had him on his back with his front feet on him when my father beat him off.

One day when my mother was making soap, my sister, Ida, tripped and fell, her face touching the boiling liquid. She carried the scar into womanhood. One night when my mother was sick in bed the mill caught fire and burned down. It seemed it was quite a distance from the house and my mother thought the world had started to burn. It must have been after this my father decided to sell out and move to Kansas.

My father sold his farm, or traded it, to men by the name of Kennels for horses and wagons to move to Kansas. I believe this was in the spring of 1882. I think we had six wagons and eight teams of horses. We moved our furniture to Kansas also. On the way we killed game and the horses ate grass and had feed of grain, I presume. My mother was looking for something in the wagon and caused a gun to discharge, shooting the leg off our big dining table. It was not so bad but what we used it for a long time. One day I was climbing out of the wagon over the double-trees when they stopped - it was a thing they said I would always do when the wagon stopped. This time I fell and broke my arm. My father set the bone, splintered it, and we traveled on, My break made a perfect healing.. I often think of the comparison of that treatment of a broken bone with now - a hospital stay, a doctor bill of $50-$100, and often a re-break or a crooked bone or a long time of healing.

My brothers and sisters in order of birth are: Fred Alvador, born 30 December 1867, married Emma Warren, had five child-ren; Charles Washington, born 24 February 1869, married Kate Barnard, had two children; James William, born 22 July 1870, married first, Mary Harlin and had two children, married second, Alice ________ and had one child, married three times after this - all his wives are now living - we do not approve; Ida Alice, born 28 September 1871, married Joseph Watkins, had five boys, was deserted by her husband and married, second, George Patterson and had children; Thomas LeRoy, born 12 October 1873, married Myrtle Mullins, had nine children - the youngest only nine months old when Myrtle died - married a widow with with two children, at least two at home, died of cancer of the stomach; Hattie Belle, born 15 March 1875, married Harley Madison Nolder, had five children - one is dead; Cynthia, born 24 July 1876, married Gertus Eaton, had two children - one is dead and one living; Tressie May (myself) born 11 or 12 September 1877, married Howard Orville Post, had eleven children. All of the above children were born in Mahaska County, Iowa. The youngest is Ralph Ernest Evans, born 30 March 1885, in Sedgwick Couny, Kansas, married Mable Burdett, had five children - two are living and three died at birth.

When we arrived in Sedgwick County, Kansas, about five miles southeast of Mt. Hope, we stayed with our mother's brother, George Mayberry, and his family until my father and his older sons could build a house large enough to move into. This was a basement - I judge it would have been about 16 by 15 feet - with a room over it the same size and a half-story above. I think we were six weeks making the trip from Iowa. I am sure it was in the spring and our arrival was early enough to plant crops.

My father bought 218 acres of grass land - we called it "raw ground" - which lay just north of my uncle's land. My father was very desirous to have lots of fruit so he planted two rows of fruit trees around a square piece of ground. In this ground he planted what we call small fruit - such as grapes, rhubarb, raspberries, strawberries, blackberries, gooseberries. There was also room for a garden. We had in large fruit: peaches, plums, pears and cherries. All of these were in great abundance and my mother canned hundreds of quarts of fruit and tomatoes for our use. In time, my father built a porch, a kitchen which afterwards was turned into a dining room and another kitchen was added.

My father was efficient in many things - a good farmer, a good carpenter, a blacksmith, a good Christian - was honest in his dealings. He and his sons not only farmed the 218 acres, but they rented other land. He always built his houses and barns, sharpened his own plows, dug his own wells, and killed his own beef and pork. Dr. S.N. Mayberry (son of George Washington Mayberry) told me a lot about my father which I was glad to hear. As I remember, this is it in substance: "I loved to go visit at Uncle Willis'. We always looked forward to the privilege. He believed it was cheaper to take time to go swimming with the boys and us than to bury us - so we always had so much fun with him. And your father fed his family good and none of them had tuberculosis, while our uncle almost starved his family and his children died with it." I adored my father and I was chosen to go with him when he needed some help such as riding the lead horse on the binder to keep it the correct distance from the grain to be cut, there being three next to the binder and two ahead, weeding the garden, driving the cows home. I learned to milk and often did when my brothers' hands were sore from husking corn in the fall. Corn husking was such a long hard job that my brothers would be several weeks late entering school.

My mother was a very gentle, quiet lady. She had lots of work to do, having a large family and lots of company. She was a good seamstress, and I can remember some lovely dresses she made for me. She was always very kind to the erring one. Her mother died, leaving a family and my mother, being the oldest girl, stayed home while her sisters, Martha and Mary, attended school. They both taught school and my mother's education was neglected. After her family grew up and she felt she could, she did quite a lot of studying. After her last child was born - brother Ralph - she continued to be very sick. Gangrene set in her foot and one day we were all put outside when the doctor came, gave mother chloroform and took all the bones out of her big toe and sawed the main bone off about two inches from above the toe. She was laid out on our big table which was many feet long. I guess he was a good doctor because she recovered and lived many years longer. My sister, Ida, had to take charge while mother was sick.

As my patriarchal blessing tells me, I was born of goodly parents. They were very religious - teaching their children to pray and do right. We had family prayer irregularly in the home. I was a very little girl when I prayed before I went to bed, and I kept the habit to this day (1948). Although I had a vague idea of the God to whom I prayed, I had faith in my Heavenly Father and I prayed about many things - also concerning marrying your father.

My father would take my sister, Hattie, and me with him to prayer meeting Thursday nights - where we held it something like a testimony meeting, read scripture, talk if anyone wanted to, sing and pray. I enjoyed it very much. At Andale, I am sure my father held some responsible place in church government. At Halstead, he was presiding elder. They always had to hire a preacher and raise the money, and keep the churches expenses met. I think a group of men shared this responsi-bility. I was very fond of my father and had great faith in his integrity. When he talked to Hattie and me, asking if we thought we were old enough to join the church, of course, we thought so if he did. I remember the day I was baptized; it was an important event in my life. No hands were laid on my head to receive the Holy Ghost, but I can still hear the people singing as I came out of the water - "Happy day, Happy day, when I fixed my choice on my Savior and my Lord. Oh, may this glowing heart rejoice and sing its praises all around, etc." I leave Cynthia out because she was sick much of the time, and I do not remember when she joined the church.

I often played for the singing in church and for Sunday School, but was not organist. My parents were often inviting someone to eat Sunday dinner and spend the day until the night meeting. We had the same privilege so we often had lots of company.

One time I was in a dialogue in school when I was about fourteen years old. It was about the Mormons and I was the lady that went to Salt Lake City. I forget why, but I got into a lot of trouble with many women who were polygamists. At that time I had not heard of a Mormon Elder. I was going to the Parallel school house - the one I commenced school in, where Cynthia and I were first to say our A.B.C.'s from A to Z and call everyone by their name. And when we started to read, the letters often didn't look like the ones we learned.

My parents sold the 218-acre farm when I was about fifteen years old and moved to Andale - two miles south. It was a town that had been built there after we moved into Kansas from Iowa. A big Christian Church was built. My father contributed to this very liberally, both time and money. However, before we moved to this town the Catholics bought up land in this locality wherever they could get someone to sell. The church which seemed so large to me and so beautiful was moved to Mt. Hope, seven miles away. We ran a store for a year at Andale. While there and at choir practice in this church, I was sought out by a young man named Howard.

My father soon learned he was not satisfied with this big store which carried everything from harvesters, wagons and farm implements to needles and all kinds of groceries. He traded with a man called Humphrey for a farm one mile south of Halstead, Kansas. It was a very nice farm and had a nice house on it, also a barn. There was also a good high school where Professor Cruze was an ideal instructor. The professor at Andale was Guinsman. I thought he was just right too.

We always attended church at Halstead too. My father was presiding elder there. At Andale he was one of the business managers. My father was a successful farmer there, too, and our home was often full of company, both young and old. Just now I am reminded that we worked hard. In harvest time, after coming in to a very bounteous dinner, the grace asked and eating finished, we would very often go into the parlor and sing songs - playing the organ was mostly my job. My father was a wonderful singer, in my estimation - especially his deep bass voice. My brothers, Charles, Will and Thomas, were good singers too. My sister, Hattie, sang also.

This young man, Howard, found his way to our new home and about every month would come over until we were married 14 March 1897. We moved to Mt. Hope where Howard had rented a farm from my cousin, Lincoln Mayberry. It was two miles south of Mt. Hope. My first child, Clarence Evans, was born at this home 14 February 1898. When Clarence was about a month old, we moved from Sedgwick County to Harper County which was on the Oklahoma line. We were by a little village called Crystal Springs. This is where Alice Irene was born 19 January 1900, and Stella Valetta was born 13 April 1901. I do not remember why we moved to Harper County. We first rented land from Mr. Currin on a hillside, and later moved to a better place.

We first met the Mornon Elders after an acquaintance with a Mrs. Amanda Beeler who was a Mormon. One day we were invited to attend a cottage meeting for the Latter-Day Saint elders at her home about four miles away. It was very interest-ing to me. Mrs. Beeler invited me to visit her one day. I took my baby and went to her house. She and I went to a stream of water where she was trying to catch some fish for dinner, and she told me a few things more about the Gospel. If I re-member, when we came back to the home, the Elders were there. One of them was Thomas Kimball. Soon afterwards my husband and I went to a cottage meeting held at Elberta Tilton's home. Elder Thomas Kimball and Elder Iverson were there. At this meeting, Elder Iverson, an elder from Salt Lake City, during his talk bore his testimony something like this: "Joseph Smith was a true prophet of God raised up in this dispensation to restore the Gospel and organize the Church." We were in a small room and I felt, while he bore his testimony, that electricity was going through me. I was moved by his testimony and will never forget how I felt.

We had a cottage meeting at our home. I remember I was so happy trying to fix the room, finding something for seats so there would be enough. President Jack came in and was at our home. He talked about this earth as a school where we were to learn, and obey, and progress to be ready to go to another estate, I remember there were some boys who tried to disturb, but as I remember they soon quit and maybe they came close and heard what President Jack said and became interested. Tbe door and windows were open.

Sometime later there was another cottage meeting at Beelers. I remember that Tiltons and we were in attendance. After the meeting Brother Thomas Kimball was talking to us and Brother and Sister Tilton and I said we wanted to be baptized. I thought my husband would too, but he said that he did not.

When the day came to be baptized, my husband said he did not want to go to the baptism which was in a stream of water close to the Beelers, maybe on their land. When we gathered at the Beeler home, I felt so depressed. I could not tell anyone why, but I wanted to cry, and I did, long and hard. I had no decision to make as to whether I should be baptized or not. That was settled with me. Because my husband did not join with us may have had something to do with it, but I had not singled it out. I just felt bad and wanted to cry. Finally all were ready to go to the waters and I quit crying. I remember as the Elders were baptizing, some boys gathered some distance away and threw stones at us. No one paid any attention to them, nor did they bother me. When I went into the water, I was interested and happy. We all went to change our clothing and after that we were confirmed members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints and had the Holy Ghost be-stowed upon us.

The Lord told me through His servant, the Patriarch, some four years later that I received the Holy Ghost at the time of my confirmation and it would continue to shine on my pathway and enable me to escape from danger that I may be exposed to. I acknowledge many times I was warned by the Holy Ghost; had I not heard, it might have been death for me.

My daughter, Alice, was born just a few days more than seven months after I joined the church, and my daughter, Stella, was born less than fifteen months after Alice.

Our Church was five miles away at Attica, Kansas, so I did not get to attend the meetings. Satan got busy and darkened my mind with doubt over a subject of Melchizedek Priesthood. One Elder spent some time trying to set me right. Some eight years later, the Lord told me through His servant, the Patriarch, about this, saying, "Doubts of the divinity of the work which you have espoused have at times darkened your mind, but because of your honesty and constant desire to serve God, the clouds have been dispersed," When the servant was speaking this, I knew he was speaking the truth so why should I ever doubt that a Patriarch, when called by divine authority, is speaking for the Lord to me or to anyone whom he has laid his hands on to bless.

I did not get to meetings, but was blessed by many elders traveling through. The headquarters was at Tiltons for a long time. I was blessed by their instructions. I remember sometimes we would sit on the porch in the moonlight and listen to the wonderful things about the Gospel; the Ten Lost Tribes going to the North and someday returning; the personality of God enlightening our minds; from knowing only a very indescribable God who may strike us down at His will, to knowing one who taught us He was loving, kind, compassionate and full of mercy and would help anyone who would trust and help himself. They told us to have our children; they were our glory. They taught us we were co-workers with God in this, be-cause the spirits of many multitudes are waiting to come to earth. The community in which we then lived seemed so against babies and children, I felt that the walls of my home must be my world. So I kneeled down and prayed that the Heavenly Father would help me not complain about having my children. My mother also had talked to me, advising me to have my babies and not listen to my aunt who might advise otherwise. I am happy to say, my husband, my friends, nor my children have not at any time heard me complain because I had a baby or was expecting a baby, nor did I worry because I knew I would have another baby.

May I again say, the Lord told me through His servant, that I was a descendent of Israel and of the blood of Ephraim and my spirit will never rebel against any of the revelations that will be given. For this confidence placed in me, I am thankful beyond words to express, for I know if I would indulge in sin this promise would not stand.

The Lord opened my way to gather with the saints in Zion. We decided to move to Arizona. At the same time Brother and Sister Tilton were also going to move there. In the fall of 1902, after the harvest was over, we had an auction sale and sold all of our furniture, farm implements, fruit and livestock to be ready to move to Arizona. Brother and Sister Tilton had to give up his farm he had rented because his lease ran out. They moved in with us and their things were sold at this time too.

My husband wanted to make a trip to see his parents before going west, so we left the Tiltons at our home and made a few weeks' visit. While there, for some reason, my husband changed his mind. As we had ordered new wagons, he countermanded the order. Brother Tilton was very much put out. He chartered a car and went on while we moved south of Wichita by a little town named Waco and rented a farm from a man named Carter.

We had a good crop and I raised lots of chickens, put up lots of fruit and we put down a barrel of kraut, a barrel of vinegar, a barrel of meat. Then we were ready to start for Arizona so we chartered a (railroad) car. We had gathered lots around us and put it all in the car - a team of fine horses, harnesses, new wagons, mower, rake, plows, cow, hogs, twelve dozen hens, corn, oats, all our furniture, fruit, meat and everything. I took the three children and went to visit my parents at Halstead and was to leave by train in two weeks.

My husband was very disappointed when he saw the country and the apparently adverse conditions in Arizona. The year before the Saints had come to logger-heads and did not take the water out of the river. When he arrived in December the alfalfa fields were like dusty roads. We felt we had met our Waterloo, but there was no choice - we must fight and work or starve. My husband thought it would be starvation anyway. We rented land with three big artesian wells from Harry Eckerman.

The people in St. David were not cooperating and the Bishop was also complained about on all sides. He was discouraged. At times he failed to show up at meetings. Some were anxious to tell us how the Bishop cheated in selling tithes. To some extent tithing was paid "in kind" at that time. With all I heard and saw my faith stayed strong in the Gospel.

In May 1903, the Academy Choir from Thatcher spent three days in St. David. I am sure it was Ward Conference. Patriarch Claridge came to bless the people who desired to be blessed. We took our lunch and attended every day. Your father asked me about having a blessing and I wanted one. Later he talked to me, asking if I had one. I had not gone to ask so he gave me fifty cents to pay for it to be recorded at Salt Lake City in the Church records. I went to ask for it and it was given to me.

I have quoted from it in this writing. The Lord told me through His servant, "The day will come when your husband will receive the truth and become one with you in the Gospel. The enemy will use his influence and try to discourage him at times, but through your faith and prayers you will throw an influence around him that will give him joy and satisfaction." This was dated May 2, 1903.

We had gone to the meeting with our team and wagon. As we knew Elder Thomas Kimball in the mission field, we asked him to our home to stay all night - Charles Peterson came too. His wife was in Kansas visiting her people. As we talked after we came home, Brother Kimball asked your father if he were ever going to be a Mormon and he said, "A Mormon or an infidel!" I left the room and walked quite far from the house and knelt down in prayer. I never felt so confident and so much as if I were speaking directly to my Heavenly Father, and I prayed for a special thing. I said, "Dear Heavenly Father, you told me my husband would accept the truth and be one with me in the Gospel. Please let this be on the morrow and it will be a testimony to me forever that this Gospel is true." After I finished speaking to my Heavenly Father, I went to the house and they were talking on another subject. We all prepared for bed and I often thought of the prayer and wondered if my Heavenly Father were displeased or pleased with me for the request I had made of him.

As morning was getting near I spoke to your father and told him I would prepare his breakfast as it was fast for the others. He said, "No, I do not want to eat." Soon all were up and your father took the men out to see our commercial garden, perhaps one-fourth mile to the lower end of it. I saw them returning. I was busy preparing lunch to take and caring for the children and the work. As I glanced again, they had turned around and started back. Up in the hills was a reservoir of water. I didn't notice them again until they were at the door and Brother Thomas Kimball said, "Well, Sister Post, here is your boy baptized." I felt so overcome, I had to cry because he was baptized and because my Heavenly Father had seen fit to grant my request. It was not yet eight o'clock Sunday morning. Some say it was a coincidence, but with me it was an answer to my petition. My Heavenly Father saw fit to grant this request and it will always be a testimony to me that this Church is true. My husband was confirmed the same day by Andrew Kimball at the Sunday session of Conference held in St. David.

Brother Tilton came over and persuaded my husband to give up his rented land and move across the river and farm with him. He said that because he, Howard, had joined the Church, he wanted to ask him to come. I have always felt it was because he knew we were thrifty and hard workers and he was not very ambitious, I felt it was a mistake but would not say it for the Lord seemed to be leading us.

While we were living in part of the house on the place we rented, Lola Orvilla was born 13 July 1904. After that season my husband gave up farming and we moved to Benson where he got a job cleaning coaches for the Southern Pacific Railroad. We stayed there six months. I had lots of company. My husband decided to go to Bisbee and work for the mining companies. I went to St. David and lived in Francis Goodman's house as a child would soon be born. On 29 June 1906, Hazel Adeline was born. I lived there until fall and then moved to Bisbee.

Just before I moved from St. David to Bisbee we made arrangements to go to Salt Lake City to the Temple. We left the latter part of September. At that same time, Sister Margaret A. Goodman, her daughter, Elizabeth, Sadie Dana, Sister Crozier Kimball and some of her children went too. We had our endowments and our children were sealed to us, having one son and four daughters. The other six were born under the covenant. In the Temple I was baptized for the dead and was very happy about it.

We rented a house on Johnson Hill in Bisbee and I kept boarders and roomers for three months, clearing our rent and food. My husband worked at the Shattock trainway. We had Brother Harris and his son, Walter, and also Brother Layton board with us. The work with my five children was real hard for me so we gave up the boarders and moved to Tombstone Canyon, and again on up the Canyon.

The Shattock mine closed and we made preparations to move to St. David. We rented Al Atkin's place close to the store and church. During this time Orville Kelvin was born on 9 October 1908. We moved from there to Mr. Short's place, north of Tiltons. We farmed the land and I think farmed some with Brother Tilton.

We bought twenty acres from Francis Goodman. In the spring of 1910, the 18th of May, Mildred Adelia was born. We were building a house on our twenty acres and moved there when she was one month old. My husband farmed and got the contract from the Government to carry the U.S. Mail on the rural route. We lived here for seventeen years. During this period we had a splendid, commercial garden. I would help my husband prepare the load of vegetables for market in the evening. While I got up at 3:00 a.m. and started for Benson with my vegetables, he hoed and cared for the children. I would come home with an empty wagon. Three times a week I would go with a load.

The rest of my children were born as follows: Etta Nadine on 30 June 1912; John Milton, 3 May 1916; Ernest Eugene, 1 August 1919; and Frances Marie, 1 February 1922.

Our son, Clarence, was called on a mission when he was nineteen years old in the spring of 1918. This was after war broke out in World War I. After he was in the mission field, the Government changed the draft age from 21 through 35 to 18 through 45. Clarence was put in Class A-1. Thinking he would surely go, he asked permission to come home and bid his family good-bye, having been gone five months. Soon after his return home the Armistice was signed, peace was declared, and Clarence returned to his mission. After his return home in 1920, he was married to Maud Billingsley by Peter A. Lofgreen. Two days later, Clarence, Maud, her mother, Violet Scranton, myself and my son Ernest, left for Salt Lake in our car, where they were sealed in the Salt Lake Temple.

In 1926, a very jealous group decided they wanted the job my husband had kept until it was paying quite well. They politi-cally had him set aside by falsehoods and candidates who wanted votes. Our opponents kicked us up hill instead of down. Brother Post was discharged without cause after the Inspector assured him that he had found nothing against him and would transfer him. He made no attempt to keep his promise. My husband got a franchise running a bus from Tucson center to Pastime Park where the Veteran's Hospital was located at the time. We moved to Tucson.

Clarence and Maud have seven children: Philip Eugene, born 28 June 1921; Ella, born 4 July 1923; Violet born 24 February 1925; Jack Richard, born 17 September 1927; Billy Evans, born 8 June 1930 and died 29 December 1930; Howard O., born 18 November 1931; Jesse Mac, born 5 September 1935. All of them were born in St. David, Cochise County, Arizona, except Billy Evans who was born at Benson. At this time Philip is in the U.S. Army at Ft. Knox, Kentucky, attending school, having spent some time in the Douglas Aircraft school in California. He enlisted in Chicago. Ella was married to Donald Larry Dunn, 7 September 1942. Violet was married to Bryant Phinizy, 12 September 1942, Clarence now lives about one and one-half miles south of Benson, runs some cattle, is and has been the Deputy Sheriff of Cochise County at Benson for the last four or five years.

Alice Irene, our first daughter and second child, was married to James Mark Nelson on 19 January 1923 at our home. They moved to Tubac, Arizona, south of Tucson where James had work. Their first child, a daughter named Lora, was born 30 October 1923, at my home in St. David. At that time James had work on the highway in Cochise County. Geraldine was born 9 November 1925, in a house rented from Sarah McRae in St. David. Jay Millard was born 2 January 1927, at St. David in the house of Mack Scranton's which they had rented. James Ronald was born in St. David 9 May 1931, at Clarence's house south of Mack Scranton's home, but they were living in Pomerene where Jim was farming. Etta was born in Tucson at my home on 28 May 1933, and Mark Wayne was born 11 October 1938, in Tucson at the Stork's Nest. After farming for several years in Pomerene, James moved his family to a farm west of St. David where he farmed for Mr. Oldfather on a contract. Their daughter, Lora, married Herschell Lee 26 December 1941, and on 13 November 1942, a little girl was born to them, named Sylvia Geraldine - my first great grandchild.

Stella Valetta, my second daughter and third child, married Earl Duzette Nelson 24 June 1921 at our home. They moved to Wellton, Arizona, where Earl worked with his father, Levi Nelson. Afterwards Earl was called to oversee farming in the San Juan Valley, south of San Francisco. At this place their daughter, Virginia, was born 13 October 1922. They moved back to Wellton and he worked at a service station and in a store. Later they moved to Yuma, Arizona, where Earl worked for nine years for a bakery, driving a delivery truck. Earl filled a successful mission to the Southern States just prior to his marriage. In Yuma, on 14 December 1927, Lucille was born. In 1931 they came to Tucson and Earl worked north of Paulden for R.H. Martin on road construction. He was there when my husband was killed by the dump-bed of a truck and was holding Howard's head on his lap when my husband died. They moved back to Yuma but returned to Tucson and Earl has worked for R.H. Martin up to this time. Virginia attended school one year at the University and then worked for the telephone company at Tucson one year before entering nurse's school at Ogden.

Lola Orvilla, my third daughter and fourth child, married Alvin Erastus Price on 19 Feburary 1924, at our home. They moved to Binghampton, Pima County. Her first son, Alvin Orville, was born 7 March 1925 at our home. Pauline was born 27 August 1926 at her home and died 21 April 1927; Caroline was born 27 March 1928; Mildred, born 14 December 1929; Lawrence Miles, born 9 July 1931; Benjamin Hyrum, born 13 November 1933; Robert Clark, born 10 November 1935; Thomas LaVar, born 29 June 1937; Stephen Francis, born 13 February 1940 - all were born at her home. Her husband, Alvin E., worked for the Sunset Dairy, then for the bakeries in Tucson. He changed off with the daires and the bakeries. At the present (1942) he works for the Shamrock Dairy as a mechanic for their trucks and refrigerators. Alvin goes to school at Tucson High and works after school for his Uncle Kelvin who has a fuel, feed and hay store.

Hazel Adeline, my fourth girl and fifth child, married Walter S. McRae 27 September 1923, at our home in St. David. They left the next day for Salt Lake City to receive their endowments and be sealed. Then they moved to Bisbee where Walter worked. Their children are: Barbara Mae, born 8 September 1924, at Bisbee; June, born 9 September 1926, at Bisbee; Nadine, born 10 August 1928, at Bisbee; Dona Lee, born 27 October 1931, at Benson; Walter Stanley, born 29 March 1934, at Tucson; Lorin Post, born 20 February 1936, at Tucson; Elizabeth, born 6 August 1938, at Tucson. (and Phyllis, born 29 January 1944, at their home in St. David.) Walter moved to St. David about 1927, and worked at the Powder Plant (Apache) in the box factory. They built a nice house on the land his father gave to him, but after a few years sold to his brother, George, and bought ten acres west of the San Pedro River and built a big house on it. A very large artesian well was on the land and from it they raised lots of vegetables and feed for their chickens and cows. Walter still works at the Powder Plant and does welding, etc. on the side.

Orville Kelvin, our second son and sixth child, married Gertrude Naegle. (The story as written by Tressie May Evans Post ends at this point. The rest is added to make it more complete.)

Kelvin and Gertrude were married at the Arizona Temple in Mesa, Arizona. They had four children: Marilyn, born 6 September 1937; Daniel K., born 11 March 1940; John Milton, born 14 January 1944; and Howard Evans, born 25 August 1948. All were born in Tucson.

The fifth daughter and seventh child, Mildred Adelia, married James LeRoy Cooper 15 November 1937, at Nogales, Arizona. They were sealed the following March in the Arizona Temple. Their first children were twins, James Gary and Gayle, who were born 30 December 1938, at Tucson. They were followed by Morris Post, born 4 October 1942, at Phoenix; and three who were born in Mesa - Conny, 31 August 1945; William Newell, 9 December 1948; and Jan, 21 October 1951.

Etta Nadine, the sixth daughter and eighth child, married Hyrum Delmar Schneider 15 June 1939, at the Arizona Temple in Mesa. They had four children, two passing away while very young: Blanche, born 1 April 1940; Myron Lee, born 23 June 1942 and died 25 June 1942; Pauline, born 4 October 1943; and Donald Post, born 19 November 1944 and died 29 September 1956. Delmar died 4 April 1951. In 1955, Nadine married John William Egg. Nadine filled a mission to the Northern States Mission from March 1936 to September 1937.

John Milton was the third son and ninth child of Howard and Tressie Post. He was born 3 May 1916, and had never married when he died 17 August 1954, in Phoenix. John was never fully developed but was loved by all of the family.

The tenth child was also a boy, Ernest Eugene - the fourth son. He married Sine Olive Scharling on 6 July 1944, at Boise, Idaho. They were sealed in the Arizona Temple in 1945. They are the parents of seven children, all born in Tucson: Barbara Beth, 15 April 1946; Iva Elaine, 24 October 1947; James Ernest, 21 February 1950; Dorothy Ann, 29 December 1952; twins - Jeanne and Jayne, born 2 September 1954; and Matthew Scharling, 10 June 1958. Ernest also filled a mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints.

The last child was another girl, number seven, Frances Marie. She married William H. Luke at the Arizona Temple in Mesa, on 27 October 1942. They have seven children, all except the third one being born in Tucson: Marie Annette, 3 April 1944; William Harold, 23 August 1946; David Melvin, 25 December 1948 (born in Logan, Utah); Alan Dewayne, 16 May 1951; Kenneth Howard, 13 July 1955; Janice, 13 November 1957; and Gordon Evans, 25 March 1961.